"Down here at Cape Spartel is the celebrated cave of Hercules, where the hero took refuge when he was vanquished and driven out of the Tangier country. It is full of inscriptions in the dead languages, which fact makes me think Hercules could not have traveled much, else he would not have kept a journal."

-"The Innocents Abroad," Mark Twain

Monday, November 7, 2011

Food and Leaves (But Not Together At the Same Time)

I was sitting in my room, freshly showered after a beautiful day, when I realized it had been a little while since I had lasted written something. So here it is!

Halloween was last week; I actually had three days off from school - Halloween, All Saints' Day, and the day after as well. I guess that this was my fall break, as, naturally, Thanksgiving is not celebrated here. We had a small party with some neighbors for Halloween. This is actually unusual for Austria, as they normally don't celebrate the holiday. We did have one group of 4 trick-or-treaters, though! We had a lovely table:

This past weekend, my friend (who is also an exchange student) came to visit! She's living three hours away, so we made a weekend out of it. We explored the shopping of Salzburg on Saturday and my town on Sunday. We happened to eat a lot, as well... this seems to be all about food so far!

This is "Kebap," which is actually Hungarian, and is the Austrian version of fast food!

VERY GOOD coconut hot chocolate

Before she left, the two of us went out and got cake (mine was the chocolate )!

The leaves are turning quite nicely, and the weather has decided to favor us for a while. Today was warm, as was yesterday! I hope it stays that way for a few more days before becoming cold for the next few months. This past weekend, the city began setting up for Christmas. (No Thanksgiving, remember?) I'll try to take some pictures of the process to show you tomorrow. In the meantime, here is a bit of fall from Friday right across the street from my school:


Hopefully, I will have some more news from this coming weekend for you as well! Hope you are all doing well, enjoying the season, and staying warm.

Much love,
Mary Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment