"Down here at Cape Spartel is the celebrated cave of Hercules, where the hero took refuge when he was vanquished and driven out of the Tangier country. It is full of inscriptions in the dead languages, which fact makes me think Hercules could not have traveled much, else he would not have kept a journal."

-"The Innocents Abroad," Mark Twain

Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Bit of Exploring

Good morning, Sunday! I am taking advantage of a little bit of time at home to FINALLY write again. It's been a long time since I last posted, I know, etc. etc. etc. Let's just get on with it.

Two weeks ago, we went to go see manger scenes. However, these are  no ordinary manger scenes. People here make them by hand and they are handed down from generation to generation, with everyone adding more figures as time goes on. The setups are typically displayed in peoples' homes, and of course, end up being huge. Many of the figures have names (other than just the Biblical people) and are modeled after people in the town at the time that the figures are made. Likewise, homes and buildings are added that are miniature replicas of those in the area. In this way, not only is an important Biblical message on display, but also the town's history and character. (By the way, the German word for these are "Krippe.")

I did my best to take pictures of them, but it was hard to fit everything in!


Later that week, we had some absolutely stunning weather, and I was able to take advantage of a block of two free periods to do a bit more exploring of the city. Here are some of my tourist moments:




I also took the time to visit the city's science museum, but unfortunately, barely started on it! It is quite extensive, and I hope to be able to return soon to see more.

My weight on the sun (and you were worried about your weight!)

Not the best quality, but I had never seen a snake drink before!

BEAUTIFUL, don't you think?
This past week has been a rather different one. I had my first orchestra concert here, which was short but went well enough. One day after school, I was the first one home, so I decided to go on a walk to one of the neighboring towns which I had previously not seen much of. I put the Grease album in my ears, and luckily, did not meet more than three people while out... The path goes through the woods by the lake; naturally, this means that I took pictures of the scenery and barely any of the town itself! Again, it was one of the few nicer days we have had lately :)





Yes, this is a hotel! I passed this on the outskirts of town - it looks like it should be in a fairy tale!
This turned out to be a rather picture-heavy post; I suppose I am making up for the last one! The rest of my weekend is going to be a bit busy, so I will leave that until next time.

Love to All,
mary beth

P.S. I have passed the halfway mark of my year here! It seems impossible to think that I will be returning after all of this...

1 comment:

  1. I liked all the pictures, especially the one of you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete