"Down here at Cape Spartel is the celebrated cave of Hercules, where the hero took refuge when he was vanquished and driven out of the Tangier country. It is full of inscriptions in the dead languages, which fact makes me think Hercules could not have traveled much, else he would not have kept a journal."

-"The Innocents Abroad," Mark Twain

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Books, Dancing, and One Book in Particular

Hello to all! I must say I am really loving this fall weather we are having lately... as long as it stays crisp like this, I will be happy. Halloween, how I eagerly await your arrival! (Provided we actually decide to do something for it.)

I had hoped to attend the National Book Festival, and failing that, went to Baltimore's instead. I didn't get to see the author that was at the National, but had a lovely time exploring nonetheless :)

Photo-bombers to each side of me, and I thought the church looked rather European
What I brought home...

The weekend before last was one of those high school-highlights - my senior homecoming. All of this cliche stuff is beginning to really hit me... I was looking forward to it, started to dread the event the day of, but ended up having a fabulous time, of course! Below are a few highlights, all of which were taken beforehand. Thanks, Mom & Dad! Naturally, homecoming week I did not take any pictures, but just so you know, I did dress up for mis-match day, toga day (seniors only), decades day, and school colors day and went to the game. We won ;)



(Back to book news...) You may know that J.K. Rowling came out with a new book recently - her first adult novel, entitled "The Casual Vacancy." I was afraid that it would be quite some time before I got my hands on a copy, but reserved it at the library the day it came out. Just a few days later, I got the notification that it was available! I finished it today, and I have to say that it is (overall) enjoyable. However, what everyone else is saying is very much true: if she did not have her reputation, it would most likely not end up a best seller. On the other hand, if people did not have such high expectations, maybe it would have been better received... read it for yourself and find out! (But do realize that this is an adult novel - not Harry Potter in any way whatsoever!)

Last order of business: you can now find me on Twitter and Goodreads!

Hope you're doing well!
mary beth

No comments:

Post a Comment