"Down here at Cape Spartel is the celebrated cave of Hercules, where the hero took refuge when he was vanquished and driven out of the Tangier country. It is full of inscriptions in the dead languages, which fact makes me think Hercules could not have traveled much, else he would not have kept a journal."

-"The Innocents Abroad," Mark Twain

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Logically...

The majority of my postings are a conglomeration  of highlights; I wish I could say that this was not one of them. Alas, it is, so perhaps I should make it a goal for the next to focus on a particular experience. Almost a month has passed, and how do I pick the best bits of it all? Why, with what few pictures I have to [loosely] link them together.

Mid-month, we finished up the first semester of school, which meant midterms were over for my full-year classes! Not only were we left without homework, but were gifted with a five day weekend. To what end, I really don't know. School board logic is typically logic-defying. I'm not complaining, though. I spent the days visiting with old friends, drinking too many hot beverages, reading, playing music, listening to music, watching films, enjoying family time... what else does one do as a teenager? Out of all this, one of the few pictures I have is this picture of my milkshake from a '50s style diner. And I questioned the school board's logic.

(So I suppose I had cold drinks, too...)
Next important time frame was this past weekend, which I have to admit was more stressful than the last. After switching classes upon our return to school, I went south to terrify a few judges. No, really. I had my first college audition. Admittedly, it was not as intimidating as I feared, but I have also heard that this school's auditions are pretty "chill."


Leaving Friday afternoon in good spirits... we left earlier than planned with the threat of snow. And it did! Thankfully, it was just enough to be pretty and not slick the roads. 


Upon arrival at our hotel, I asked where I could practice and was told the business or fitness center. That is where the exercise-machine-turned-music-stand comes in... 


Post-audition! I didn't think to take a picture until after my viola was back in its case, but at least it's there. (You'll have to use your imagination.) My instincts are telling me it went reasonably well - knock on wood. Let's not jinx it, for those of you who put faith in such rituals. One down, two to go! They also gave me a muffin as I left the room. That's a good sign, right?

cheers!
mary beth

No comments:

Post a Comment