"Down here at Cape Spartel is the celebrated cave of Hercules, where the hero took refuge when he was vanquished and driven out of the Tangier country. It is full of inscriptions in the dead languages, which fact makes me think Hercules could not have traveled much, else he would not have kept a journal."

-"The Innocents Abroad," Mark Twain

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Time Goes Faster Than You Think

Well, um, yes. It’s March. I have been doing things. I’m sure you have, too. Like usual, you know. The weather has been blooming (ahead of the flowers), and the lake is (mostly) liquid again. I don’t have too much new for you today, but I Skyped with my mom the other day, and she reminded me that it would probably be a good idea to reassure you all that I am still here and not, in fact, dead.

We have celebrated two birthdays here, one in the family and one with friends, since I last wrote. Here is a picture of a particularly good-looking bread basket from one of the restaurants and my host-mom-made birthday cake:




I have been skiing, walking, hiking, and bike riding (!), read books, gone to the library, talked to people, sent emails, wrote letters, ate food with people, ate food near people, ate food alone, gone to school, studied French, loved French, hated French, played music, listened to music, contemplated the concept of music, received a package from home, read things about the college process and individual colleges, watched good and bad movies, watched Youtube videos, Googled, put off writing a blog, read other blogs instead, and took a few (very few) pictures.  I think that covers (most) everything.

I mentioned that the weather is ahead of the flowers, however, we saw this area yesterday that is already FILLED with flowers:




Hope you remembered your green yesterday and enjoyed good Irish music!
XOXO,
mary beth

P.S. Before I left, I started reading The Innocents Abroad by Twain, which is where the title for this blog came from. However, I did not finish it before I arrived and ended up putting off after arriving; finally, I have begun to complete the read. If you are not familiar with the story, it is the account of his journey across Europe. He spoke of travelling to Milan and seeing the cathedral – it was only after I was halfway through his description when I became aware of the fact that I have been there! I cannot express my shock and amazement at my shock of realizing this!
P.P.S I have approximately 4 MONTHS left before I return!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for posting again! tell Karin i would love a cake like that for my birthday in September. and the flowers are indeed pretty. love you!
    mama

    ReplyDelete